The station originally opened serving the Great Western (GWR) and Great
Central Railways (GCR) joint lines on 2 April 1906. The construction of a
completely new station was begun as part of the GWR's contribution to the
Underground's New Works Programme of 1935-1940. This projected Central line
services on new electrified tracks parallel to the existing GWR lines.
Delayed by World War Two (WW2) the new station opened on 21 November 1948,
adjacent platforms serving main line services, although final completion was
delayed until about 1962. A large depot was built alongside the line between
West Ruislip and Ruislip Gardens. The Central line service was intended, as
part of the New Works Programme, to extend beyond West Ruslip to Denham, but
this was abandoned due to post-WW2 Green Belt legislation. At the end of the
1990s, the station's concrete canopy was replaced, as was the platform surface
and station lighting. The staircase up to the booking hall was renovated.
Ruislip & Ickenham, 2 April 1906
West Ruislip (for Ickenham) 30 June 1947
1948 F F C Curtis
British Railways (BR) (Western region) architect working on behalf of LT.
1962 Howard Cavanagh
Modified original designs for completion.
1948 P Croom-Johnson
LT's Chief Engineer, responsible for engineering at the station.
1947 Caffin & Co Ltd
Built the Underground station.
The station building in Ickenham Road was completed largely in line with
Curtis's original 1946 design, although it was not completed until 1962 under
the direction of Howard Cavanagh. The slightly concave entrance elevation is
constructed in sandy coloured bricks, as Curtis intended. The cantilevered
concrete canopy runs across the full width of the facade and incorporates a
fluted soffit feature. Above this canopy stands the top of the booking hall
with its facade completely glazed. The mullions of these windows are vertical
which was also part of Curtis's original design. The pole-mounted roundel sign
on top of the canopy is original. The pre-cast
concrete entrance is also original and has operational rolling shutters.
The rectangular booking hall remains largely in its original Curtis design.
The walls below dado level have been re-tiled since the station was completed
in 1962. The strip lighting in the booking hall is original. The kiosks either
side of the entrance open into the booking hall rather than
the street. They have been extensively modified from their original design.
Two of the original timber telephone booths have been retained (others were
removed), although their original folding doors have been withdrawn. The
station clock on the south wall is original. The platform access gallery has
been retained although this section has been altered with the introduction of
ticket barriers and the associated POM equipment and ticket windows. The
platform signage and windows in this area are original. Extensive use of blue
wall tiling is made within the large rectangular booking hall, which is still
lit by early post-war fluorescent light fittings. From here stairs lead down
to the platforms.
The original wooden handrails are still intact, as is the later additional
central balustrade. The unusual rhomboid shaped steel-framed windows in this
section are currently painted white but were originally a dark colour. An
over-bridge linked to the booking hall connects the Underground station with
the adjacent main line staircases and platforms. The original island
platform canopy was replaced in the late 1990s, as was the platform surface
and lighting. The brick enclosure on the platform is original, as is the
bronze-framed roundel with black outlining on the wall of this enclosure. The
original recessed tiled surrounds are no longer visible as the more
recent aluminium poster panel frames obscures them. The
waiting room incorporates the original concrete and timber bench. However,
the benches on the platforms are not original. The original platform clock,
station name roundels, platform indicators and route diagram signs are all still largely
Near the station is West Ruislip depot, located on the south side of the line
between West Ruislip and Ruislip Gardens.
(Picture is BR Platforms (Chiltern Line) - Underground
platforms are to the right)